STMicroelectronics has introduced the B-L462E-CELL1 Discovery kit that combines critical hardware and software building blocks, including GSMA-certified embedded SIM (eSIM) to quickly develop power-conscious Cellular IoT devices that connect to the Internet through LTE-Cat M and NB-IoT networks. The kit features an ultra-small size all-in-one cellular module that includes ST’s ultra-low-power STM32L462 microcontroller, ST4SIM-200M GSMA-certified embedded SIM (eSIM), and an LTE-M/NB-IoT chipset.
Preprogrammed with the bootstrap connectivity profile, the kit leverages out-of-the-box data connectivity and enables remote SIM provisioning and SIM Over-The-Air updates. The kit uses the ST4SIM-200M eSIM solution based on the proven ST33 Arm SecurCore SC300 for strong resistivity against connectivity attacks. The onboard sensors such as LSM303AGR accelerometer-magnetometer, HTS221 relative humidity, and temperature sensor, and LPS22HH pressure sensors simplify the development of motion and environmental solutions. The device also includes a 0.96-inch OLED display, indicator LEDs, and a USB connection.
The B-L462E-CELL1 Discovery kit has been designed with ultra-low-power technologies in the STM32L4, which draws about 2µA in STOP 2 mode, and cellular chipset drawing less than 1.4µA in Power Saving Mode (PSM). The device acts as a platform to develop equipment with a battery life of up to 10-years for smart-city, smart-industry, smart-agriculture, smart-metering, and wearable applications. The B-L462E-CELL1 Discovery kit is available now. Budgetary pricing starts at $74.00.
Features of B-L462E-CELL1 Discovery kit
- Ultra-low-power STM32L4 Series STM32L462REY6TR microcontroller based on the Arm Cortex-M4 core with 512 Kbytes of Flash memory and 160 Kbytes of RAM in a WLCSP64 package
- 64 Mbytes of onboard Quad-SPI Flash memory from Micron, exclusive with the 1 MByte of Quad-SPI Flash memory inside the module
- 16 Kbytes of I2C EEPROM (M24128-DFMN6TP) from STMicroelectronics
- 0.96-inch 128 x 64 OLED screen with SPI interface
- Low-power Audio CODEC with PCM bus and I2C interface
- Flexible power-supply options: ST-LINK USB, User USB, UART USB, Power USB, or three AAA batteries
- On-board ST-LINK/V2-1 debugger/programmer with USB re-enumeration capability: mass storage, Virtual COM port, and debug port
- End-to-end connectivity applications
- Low‑power cellular network services from Truphone
- Support of a wide choice of Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) including IAR Embedded Workbench, MDK-ARM, and STM32CubeIDE
Note: More technical information can be found in the B-L462E-CELL1 Discovery kit Databrief linked at the bottom of this page.