Arduino has released a powerful, industrial-grade SOM with Linux OS preloaded onboard that enables IT professionals, system integrators, and consulting firms to build and boost a wide variety of solutions for industrial contexts, and also lends itself to building automation and smart agriculture applications. The new Portenta X8 is capable of running device-independent software because to its modular container architecture and is a two in one product, with the power of no less than 9 cores. Moreover, Onboard Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity allows you to carry out OS/application updates remotely, always keeping the Linux kernel environment at top performance levels.
The Portenta X8 features an NXP i.MX 8M Mini Cortex-A53 quad-core, up to 1.8GHz per core + 1x Cortex-M4 up to 400MHz, along with the STM32H747XI dual-core Cortex-M7 up to 480Mhz +M4 32-bit Arm MCU up to 240Mhz. This module has been designed with industrial-grade security in mind and includes the NXP SE050C2 hardware security element to provide key generation, accelerated crypto operations and secure storage.
Key benefits of Portenta X8
- Two industrial products in one, combining Arduino’s availability of libraries/skills with container-based Linux distribution
- Outstanding computational density - a total of 9 cores within a compact form factor
- Multi-processor architecture allowing power-optimized processing
- Leverage popular programming languages like Python, Java and Ruby among others
- Real-time I/O and fieldbus/control on a dedicated core
- Deploy powerful AI algorithms and machine learning on the edge
- Secure OS/applications updates over-the-air
- Industrial-grade security at the hardware level, thanks to its crypto chip on dedicated bus
- Leverage the Arduino ecosystem to expand Portenta capabilities
- Implement multi-protocol routing with a single module
- Compatible with other Arduino Portenta products
- Connected edge computer for manufacturing
- Autonomous Guided Vehicles (AGV)
- Interactive full-HD secure kiosks and digital signage
- Office & Home control systems
- Navigation and control for smart agriculture
- Behavioural analytics for offices and factories
This SOM uses the cloud-based DevOps platform from Foundries.io to reinvent the way embedded Linux solutions are built, tested, deployed and maintained. The X8 includes the customizable open-source Linux microPlatform OS, built using best industry practices for end-to-end security, incremental OTA updates and fleet management.