ISL9122A, a flexible buck-boost switching regulator with bypass mode from Renesas Electronics Corporation offers ultra-low quiescent current (IQ) for powering sensors, microcontrollers (MCUs), wireless devices, and other system components. 1.8V to 5.5V battery operation helps the device to extend the battery life of smart IoT devices powered by coin-cell, lithium, and multiple series alkaline batteries.
The ISL9122A optimizes the system power consumption by implementing dynamic voltage scaling (DVS) in I2C programmable 25mV steps. The regulator’s power boost up to 5.375V maximizes RF capabilities of IoT devices across their battery range. The PFM and PWM functionality of the device maximizes efficiency over the whole output current range. The regulator always switches at 2.5MHz frequency in forced PWM mode for improved EMI performance of the system.
Features of ISL9122A Buck-Boost Regulator
- Ultra-low IQ <1.3 µA and low shutdown mode current of 7 nA to extend battery life
- High efficiency at light load (84% @ 10 µA) and 97% peak efficiency to reduce power drain and heat buildup
- Automatic and selectable forced bypass power-saving mode reduces IQ
- Wide input voltage range from 1.8V to 5.5V, works with multiple battery topologies
- Large adjustable output voltage range from 1.8V to 5.375V in 25mV increments
- Max output current up to 500mA (Vout = 3.3V, Vin = 3.6V)
- Ultra-small footprint with 1.8 x 1.0mm WLCSP package or 3x2mm DFN package saves board space
The ISL9122A is available now from Renesas’ worldwide distributors and is priced at USD 0.89 (8-lead DFN package) and USD 0.78 (8-bump WLCSP package), each in 1,000-unit quantities