Renesas Electronics Corporation has expanded its RZ/G2 general-purpose 64-bit microprocessors (MPUs) with the introduction of three new entry-level MPU models built around the latest Arm Cortex-A55 core: The RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL. The new RZ/G2L MPUs are built around the Cortex-A55 CPU core, hence they can deliver approximately 20 percent improved processing performance and provides approximately six times faster essential processing for AI applications.
The CoretexM33 core of the MPUs allows them to perform real-time processing for data collection without the need for external microcontrollers (MCUs). The new MPUs come with integrated camera-input interfaces, a 3D graphics engine, and a video codec. This provides cost-efficient support for sophisticated functionality for human-machine interfaces (HMI) applications such as multimedia processing, GUI rendering, and AI image processing.
The new RZ/G2L Group comes with error checking and correction (ECC) protection for both on-chip memory and external DDR memory. It also features a Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) Linux, an industrial-grade Linux that offers guaranteed support and security maintenance, so users can easily adapt the RZ/G2L Group MPUs for industrial applications requiring high reliability and extended service life.
Features of RZ/G2L Group of Microprocessors
- RZ/G2L and RZ/G2LC: Cortex-A55 (1.2 GHz) dual- or single-core and Cortex-M33
- RZ/G2UL: Cortex-A55 (1.0 GHz) single-core and Cortex-M33 (optional)
- 3D graphics functions (Arm Mali-G31 GPU) (RZ/G2L and RZ/G2LC)
- Video codec (H.264) (RZ/G2L)
- CAN interface with support for faster CAN FD protocol (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- Gigabit Ethernet (2 channels on RZ/G2L and RZ/G2UL, 1 channel on RZ/G2LC)
- Memory error checking and correction (ECC) (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- Support for DDR4 and DDR3L external memory interfaces (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- 13 mm square (RZ/G2LC, RZ/G2UL), 15 mm square (RZ/G2L), and 21 mm square (RZ/G2L) BGA packages