Renesas Electronics Corporation has expanded its RZ/V Series of Microprocessors (MPUs) with the introduction of the new RZ/V2L MPUs designed for entry-level AI-enabled applications. The new device makes the embedded AI easier and more power-efficient with its exclusive AI accelerator (Dynamically Reconfigurable Processor -DRP-AI). The RZ/V2L series comes with features such as high-precision AI inference capabilities combined with top-class power efficiency and they include optimizations such as tailoring the DRP-AI operating frequency and memory interface for an entry-level MPU.
For providing color correction and noise reduction for the camera, the DRP-AI comes with both real-time AI inference and image processing functions. Leveraging these features, customers can develop AI-based vision applications, such as point-of-sale (POS) terminals and robot vacuum cleaners, without requiring an external image signal processor (ISP).
Without any heat dissipation devices such as heat sinks or cooling fans, the RZ/V2L can offer excellent power efficiency in surveillance cameras, industrial equipment as well as a wide range of applications including appliances and consumer electronics.
As part of the RZ/V2L development environment, Renesas offers a complimentary DRP-AI Translator, a tool that automatically converts AI models into an executable format. With the help of the new DRP-AI developers can immediately start using the RZ/V2L to evaluate AI models based on proven learning data.
Feature of the RZ/V2L Microprocessors
- 64-bit Arm Cortex-A55 (1.2 GHz, dual or single-core) and Cortex-M33
- DRP-AI (1 TOPS/W class) AI accelerator capable of running the Tiny YOLOv2 program at 28 frames per second (fps)
- Simple ISP functions required for machine vision are provided in the DRP library (supports up to full HD)
- 16-bit, single-channel DDR memory interface
- 3-D graphics functions (Arm Mali-G31 GPU)
- Video codec (H.264)
- CMOS sensor interfaces (MIPI-CSI and Parallel) for camera input
- Display interfaces (MIPI-DSI and Parallel)
- Memory with error checking and correction (ECC)
- Verified Linux Package (VLP) based on Civil Infrastructure Platform Linux, an industrial-grade Linux implementation, available
- Available in 15 mm square or 21 mm square BGA packages that are pin-compatible with the RZ/G2L
Note: More technical information can be found in the RZ/V Series User Manual and on the product page of RZ/V2L General-Purpose MCU.