Semtech Corporation has released a new low-power software-defined platform named LoRa Edge to enable the number of applications for indoor and outdoor asset management. Featuring low power Wi-Fi and GNSS analysis capabilities to significantly reduce the cost and complexity of locating and monitoring IoT assets, the first product from this portfolio - the geolocation solution can be used for asset management applications.
LoRa Edge and LoRa Cloud geolocation services will enable customers to develop ultra-low-power applications for a variety of industries and will expand the mass adoption of LoRa in the IoT ecosystem. Bringing LoRa, GNSS, and Wi-Fi scanning capabilities together in a single chip solution will help to reduce the bill of material (BOM) costs of devices and design. The chipset is suitable for industrial, building, home, agriculture, transportation, and logistics applications.
LoRa Edge enables customers to further manage the total cost of ownership (TCO), asking them to pay only when there is a need to locate an asset. The best-in-class key provisioning at point of manufacture and a secure join process simplifies the development of IoT solutions, which adhere to customers exacting security expectations.
Key Features of LoRa Edge Devices
Multi-Purpose Radio Front-End:
- 150 - 2700 MHz continuous frequency synthesizer range
- GPS/BeiDou scanning
- Wi-Fi passive scanning
Low-Power LoRa/(G)FSK RF Transceiver:
- Worldwide frequency bands support in the range 150 – 960 MHz
- High power PA path +22 dBm
- High-efficiency PA path +15 dBm
- Fully compatible with the LoRaWAN standard
- Hardware support for AES-128 encryption/decryption based algorithms
- Handling device parameters such as DevEUI and JoinEUI
- Protects confidential information such as encryption keys
- Stores NwkKey, AppKey as defined in the LoRaWAN standard
The first LoRa Edge chipset targeted with geolocation (LR1110) is available today and more products from this portfolio are scheduled to be released in the first half of 2020.