STMicroelectronics aims to accelerate the market introduction of new Bluetooth LE and 802.15.4 based IoT devices with the release of a miniature ready-to-use STM32 wireless microcontroller (MCU) module. The 7mm x 11.3mm, STM32WB5MMG module enables the developers to build connected devices with ease. It integrates everything up to the antenna, thereby enabling low-cost PCB technology requiring a minimal number of layers. Additionally, users can leverage the tools, design wizards, radio stacks, and turnkey software libraries of the STM32Cube MCU development ecosystem and complete their project speedily and efficiently without bearing any extra cost.
The module also supports ST’s novel concurrent dual-protocol mode that enables any protocol based on IEEE 802.15.4 radio technology including Zigbee 3.0 and OpenThread to connect the user directly to any Bluetooth Low Energy device. It takes advantage of all features of STM32WB55 ultra-low-power wireless microcontroller ICs to address a wide variety of opportunities for smart-home, smart-building, and smart-factory equipment.
The dual-core architecture of the device separates radio and application-level processing for unimpeded performance, large memories for radio and application code and data storage, and state-of-the-art cybersecurity. With the support for crystal-less USB Full-Speed connectivity, the module enables users to minimize bill-of-materials (BoM) costs as well as simplify the hardware design. By combining high RF performance with low power consumption, the module ensures reliable connectivity with extended battery life. The STM32WB5MMG is available from $5.66 for orders of 10,000 pieces.
Features of STM32WB5MMG Wireless Microcontroller
- Bluetooth Low Energy 5.0, Zigbee 3.0, OpenThread certified
- TX output power up to +6 dBm
- Integrated chip antenna
- Fully integrated BOM, including 32 MHz radio and 32 kHz RTC crystals
- RX sensitivity: -96 dBm (Bluetooth Low Energy at 1 Mbps), -100 dBm (802.15.4)
- 1-Mbyte Flash memory, 256-Kbyte SRAM
- 1.8 V to 3.6 V VDD range
- IEEE 802.15.4-2011 MAC PHY
- -40 °C to 85 °C temperature range
- Dedicated Arm Cortex-M0+ for radio and security tasks
- Dedicated Arm Cortex-M4 CPU with FPU and ART (adaptive real-time accelerator) up to 64 MHz speed.